Windows Sandbox is an App that allows windows users to safely running applications in isolation, it is a temporal desktop environment where you can run any software you don’t without the fear of lasting impact to your PC. More succinctly it is a lightweight desktop environment that lives outside of your windows data.
You May Like : Fast Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, You Can Get New PC at $35
Why You Need Windows Sandbox?
The web is full of harmful software and one has to be careful to avoid downloading and installing a seemingly good software not knowing it is actually a Malware. Sometimes you download a program file in an .exe format(executable file) and you are afraid to run the installation because you don’t trust it.
Those files, which are known as executable files, are often safe and simply programs you can run across the operating system. But malicious hackers also build executable files and shroud their true intent to see if they can hack your computer and run amok on your computer.
Check Out : Top 5 Laptops For College in 2018
Windows Sandbox is here to help you in this kind of situation. After downloading any .exe format file, you can run it in Sandbox’s temporal and isolated environment. This will enable you to see if the software is trusted before installing it in you main Windows environment.
When you run it in sandbox and it goes smoothly:
- You can then run the standard installation in you windows environment
- but if it is malicious you can simply avoid such a software file.
According to Microsoft any software installed in Windows Sandbox stays only in the sandbox and cannot affect your host. Once Windows Sandbox is closed, all the software with all its files and state are permanently deleted.
The Properties of Windows Sandbox
According to Microsoft tech-community these are the properties of Sandbox.
- Part of Windows – everything required for this feature ships with Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise. No need to download a VHD!
- Pristine – every time Windows Sandbox runs, it’s as clean as a brand-new installation of Windows
- Disposable – nothing persists on the device; everything is discarded after you close the application
- Secure – uses hardware-based virtualization for kernel isolation, which relies on the Microsoft’s hyper-visor to run a separate kernel which isolates Windows Sandbox from the host
- Efficient – uses integrated kernel scheduler, smart memory management, and virtual GPU
You may like : Top Five 2-in-1 Laptops (Convertible Laptops) In 2018
Prerequisites to enjoy Windows Sandbox
To use Windows Sandbox, you must have Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Enterprise build 18305 or newer, running on your computer. Other requirements includes:
- AMD64 architecture
- Virtualization capabilities enabled in BIOS
- At least 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended)
- At least 1 GB of free disk space (SSD recommended)
- At least 2 CPU cores (4 cores with hyper threading recommended).